Monday, June 18, 2012

Outlander Read-A-Long Week 1


Jess at Gone With The Words provided us with some questions for Chapters 1-7. 


Here are my answers!

1. Outlander is a well-known book. Before you cracked it open, what were your expectations or assumptions about this story? Or did you jump into it with a blank slate? I had tried reading Outlander a couple times in the past. I had heard from several people that the books were wonderful, but they failed to mention that the first chapter can be difficult to get through. I had assumed that it was just not my style or that it wasn't the right time for me to read it. Luckily, I found this time that if I had just stuck with it long enough to read chapter 2 I would have been just fine! Once I reached chapter 2 I was hooked! In fact, I had to make myself stop so I wouldn't get so far ahead. I know some of my fellow bloggers/readers have read ahead, but my memory just doesn't allow me to do that.
2. Claire’s husband, Frank, is fascinated with learning more and more facts about his family tree, which extends back pretty far. Do you or anyone in your family keep a family tree? How many years/generations back does it go? If not, have you ever considered or attempted to create one? My grandparents had a plaque given to them containing a lot of information about our family history. I haven't looked it over since I was a kid but it was very interesting and went back several hundred years. 
3. How did you find Claire’s initial conclusion as to her surroundings after waking up from going through the stones? Did you think that was a reasonable conclusion? I did think it was reasonable for Claire to assume she had stumbled upon a reenactment rather than travel through time. Wouldn't you?
4. How about her composed, rational way of dealing with the fact she’s traveled back in time. Did you find it believable? Do you think you would have acted the same way? What good does freaking out do? Every time travel movie or tv show I've watch the person who came from the future (or past) starts telling everyone they see their crazy time travel story. Everyone thinks they're nuts! In Claire's situation I think telling the truth about where she came from could have gotten her killed or at the very least she wouldn't have been given shelter and resources. 
5. At this point in the story, what are your feelings or expectations on Claire and Jamie? Is Frank still a factor for you? This is a point my husband and I have debated about. Claire is still married to Frank and she should respect their marriage by remaining faithful (his opinion), but after a certain point she will need to accept this as her reality and move on with her life even if that means excepting a new man into her arms (my opinion). Personally, I like Jamie a whole heck of a lot better than Frank. I wholeheartedly believe that Frank is the reason that the first chapter of this book is so dull.
Bonus Question: Frank encounters a man outside of the inn where he and Claire are staying. He is afraid it might have been a ghost. What do you believe it was? Do you have any predictions or suspicions on what that was about? Having not read this before, I believe that it was Jamie. I'm guessing he stepped through the stone and traveled forward in time. 
It's not too late to join in! Visit Stalking the Bookshelves for next week's questions and check back in with me next week to see what I have to say about chapters 8-14!



No comments:

Post a Comment